Ohana can mean so many things....
You are born into a family, but that sure doesn't mean that you have to accept that family as the one you spend your time with. If that was the case, I would have been dead inside a long time ago. There is a word here we use in Hawaii, called "Hanai", it's similar to Calabash, in the English translation. Hanai families can give all the warmth and love that a real family can, but they can also give all the hurt and heartache.
I have found a Hanai family here that is wonderful. We are a colorful rainbow, and when I say that, it I mean colorful!!!... ask anybody that has been to Dr. A's with us, lol. (that is a hilarious thing to watch).
I got a plate from the American Diabetes Association that explains family soooooo well....

Our Family Quilt
Our family is a patchwork quilt
A lifetime being sewn
Each piece is an original
With beauty of its own
The brightest patches may be new
And get the most attention
But the pieces that are loved and worn
Help give our quilt dimension
Threads of humor, faith and love
Will keep our quilt together
To last in love throughout the years
And wrap us close forever
Here is my Christmas present that will pass on to the kids....


Inscribed inside.... My Life My Loves .... same as part of my tattoo.


<< Home