I am at the bottom of a pit and can't climb out...
I have two issues going on in our life right now that are very overwhelming to me...
We found live termites in our closed in patio. We have open beams in there. Its has been almost 9 years since the house was last tented....WHEN WE BOUGHT IT. And now 9 years later there will be SO much work for this to happen. Go figure, I run my uncle's termite company but WE don't do this type of work, so we have to contract it out. This means....
1. Boarding 3 cats for 24-48 hours - approx $300
2. Having our neighbor house our 4 love birds, 2 chicken, the turtle tank (40 gallons with pump and about 80 guppies with 7 plecos, plus of course the two turtles) - This will be free, but of course a thank you gift is in order, she loves orchid plants so that is not a problem,.... just moving everything is.
3. Hotel accommodations for 2 nights - could be anywere from Free (if Gary is able to call in some favors) to $250-300
4. Food out for at least one night - that is not a problem, we will just bring stuff with us, hotel will have micro and icebox. (Not to mention, we need to prepare everything that is in the house... we have decided not to go grocery shopping at all until we figure out what is going on and just work on eating everything and anything that we can in the house. We can store stuff at the office, but there is limited space in the icebox there, but of course all the drygoods can go there....)
5. The tenting itself.... anywhere from $1500 - 2000
6. The preparation for the tenting itself.... ALL food in cupboards, icebox, and storage.....has to either be bagged in special bags supplied by the company or REMOVED from the property completely.
7. Once we are home, the treatment itself is a gas, and when we are able to return the gas fumes ARE GONE, but the dirty work starts....the house will have to be throughly cleaned from top to bottom, before we can sleep here again and resume our normal daily lives.
This just seems so overwhelming to me with 3 small children, a virtual zoo in the animal area, a business that is run from home...not to mention I won't have computer ACCESS AT ALL during the day, until DH comes home and lets me use his Laptop. The beams are untreated lumber that the previous owner installed by means of saving money. This a very new problem, but just in a couple of days then termites have done some really serious damage. The rain, the wind all of these things could hinder the treatment getting scheduled also. I am a recluse, I don't leave my house very often and to have me leave for this extended period of time is the most overwhelming thing in itself. Not to mention the security issues. I trust the guys I work with, they have become extended family, but again we are dealing with a company that we sub out work to....they have MANY employees and many that I don't know. We will have to have our neighbors keep an eye on things as we can't even camp out in our yard for this time period...no bathrooms etc....
This is a totally unforeseen stumbling block, and an expensive one. The closest hotel is in Waikiki and the kids are in school, so this will be interesting to say the least. Most companies, the one we are using included, don't do this work on weekends, plus we need the weekend to get things cleaned back up. For Gary, a Thursday or Friday would be ideal as he has the least amount of meetings on those two days, or meeting he could conduct away from his office.
Not sure why I am even posting this, but this is a HUGE thing for me. I am sick to my stomach at just the thought of this all. I had a severe panic attack yesterday just after my uncle left and told us yes indeed this did have to be done. If it had been subterranean termites (ground) and not drywood, we wouldn't even have to leave the house. I have had my uncle check regularly over the past 9 years for these and we have never had a problem until NOW, so I guess I should be very thankful. I am at a point in my health where I can actually even leave the house for awhile, so this is a huge blessing.
On a sad note, Gma is not doing good and could be going Home at anytime, so this will or could cause some additional stumbling blocks. My dad popped up out of the blue on Friday....phone rang, I was told he would be at my front door in 20 MINUTES!!! He does not even live on this island so that was a huge shock. My stepmom and he did not come to visit us at all....they were here for a work meeting for my dad and decided since they were here to come see Gma. It has been almost a year. My dad lost it, which only points out that he has not listened to me at all regarding everything she has been through and the daily things that I have made him aware of.... i.e. she has lost 60lbs in 8 months, she is almost completely unresponsive, she knows nobody when she is alert, she is very weak and a shell of her former self. She was asleep when they saw her, and he broke down and cried... he didn't even cry for his own father's funeral 3 years ago. I don't understand this man, nor do I want to try. I am done being hurt by him. When Gma passes it will be the end of my relationship with my father also. I have been preparing for this for a long time. Not something any daughter wants to happen, but for the safety of MY family, this will have to happen. He is only interested in what he will "GET" when she passes, which is NIL. We had all the paperwork taken care of several years ago before all this happened. My dad is a very materialistic person and the fact that he feels he is "owed" things, will be the end of a very unstable relationship we already have.
I guess what I am asking for is prayer and lots of it. There is a great deal to do before this can even take place, and then after that much more. We have absolutely no help and this will fall mostly on Gary as I can't do a great deal of it. His work load is already sooooo heavy this could be potentially very bad. The kids have a spring intersession break coming up and not enough kids are signed up for their program yet, we are not sure they will have the ability to be in this program, if they can't they will be home almost 3 weeks. With everything else going on right now.... not sure I can handle everything. Again, Please just pray for us so that everything falls into place and I can have a peace about the house and Gma.


<< Home